Security Technology Executive

FEB-MAR 2015

Issue link: http://securitytechnologyexecutive.epubxp.com/i/484306

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 18 of 51

February/March 2015 • SECURITY TECHNOLOGY EXECUTIVE 19 www.SecurityInfoWatch.com them in short order. Technolog y companies must design for or around constraints or they will in essence be designing obsolete products and services. I n d i v i d u a l i l l u s t ra t i o n s o f t h e g ro w t h trends of the technologies depicted in Figure 3 are available online at: www.go-rbcs.com/ tech-growth-curves. Two Constraints Changing: Internet Bandwidth and Internet Security The Internet bandwidth constraint is already eroding , as evidenced by home networking speeds that are now 60 times what they were 10 years ago (120 times what they were 15 years ago. Nelsen's Law of Internet Bandwidth states that a high-end user's connection speed grows by 50 percent per year. That law fits data from 1983 to 2014. Many initiatives are in place to secure the Internet, the most notable being the Electron- ic Frontier Foundation's project to encrypt the entire Internet. By mid- year 2015 they are launching a security certificate authority (an organization that issues the digital certificates used to make secure Internet connections) named L et 's Encr ypt ( go to http://bit.ly/ lets -encr ypt), whose pur pose is to secure the entire Internet by automating free web security. This effort is led by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which includes Mozilla, Cisco, Akamai, IdenTrust, and researchers at the University of Michigan. This initiative only secures the Internet con- nections themselves. It does not secure the web applications, which has its own trend of advancement. These aligned trends will all combine to drastically reduce the risk involved with internet transactions. W hen the Internet bandwidth constraints are lifted and web-based security services dras- tically improve, cloud-based security services will make a lot more sense. Cloud-based servic- es are poised to be as big a part of the security services landscape as are other service-based applications beyond security. Change Coming to the Security Industry What changes will take place within the security Figure 3

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Security Technology Executive - FEB-MAR 2015